Friday, March 11, 2011

Tengku Djan to race in Qatar. How much for Johor circuit? Qatar Education hub.

I see that Qatar are having a Formula Drift race. Most of the racers are American. Two are Asian. Tengku Djan is one of them.
http://www.princeofdrift.com/2011/03/09/fd-qatar-here-we-come/

Tengku means prince by the way. Djan is head of Motorsport at Proton, the owners of Lotus. I used to sit about ten feet away from Djan when he was part of Lotus Engineering Malaysia.

I bet Djan can tell me the price of the Johor circuit! I have met with Johor management before. They expressed an interest in buying the circuit for themselves, however, he never gave me a price. Sometimes people can be a bit secretive.

Alex Yoong mentioned it was for sale when I was at the ASLI conference. He might have even mentioned a figure. I forget. It is for sale that much I know!

Djan seems to be a lot more interested in pursuing his dreams ontrack, than helping me promote this project. Understandable, but a little frustrating!

Despite all this, I can still see the vision becoming reality...

Speaking of Qatar the BBC has run an article on their new educational hub
It quotes malaysia as a success with UK Universities operating abroad.

"The host countries, quite reasonably, tend to apply quite a lot of conditions and there have already been some failures where the universities can't make a branch campus work," says Mr O'Leary.

"But Nottingham's campuses in Malaysia and China do well - largely, I think, because graduates get a Nottingham degree and the university uses its own staff."

Newcastle University is setting up in Johor. I'm sure the would be partnering a real world industrial partner such as Lotus. They would probably jump at the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment