Monday, August 9, 2010

Birthday tomorrow. Lotus offer a really expensive track car. Type 125

On a personal note. It's my birthday tomorrow. Another year gone. I'm feeling great. Long may it continue.
Lotus racing are offering a hugely expensive track toy for rich clients.
Lotus Type 125 (borrowed pic from Motorauthority.com)


I have no idea if this will be produced in Malaysia where Lotus F1 have their campus in SepangF1 or in Norfolk... two possibilities, the F1 site or Group Lotus could build it under contract in Hethel.

From my perspective, I would like to tap into the F1 technolgy and spread it to people at an affordable rate.
However, it must be remembered that people who can afford to race are either very well connected, wealthy, or very fortunate to be spotted by one of the former.

We aren't talking about throwing down two article of clothing and starting a game.

If you want to race legally, you need a proper track, safety equipment, and in some cases very expensive machinery. However, if you are successful you get well rewarded.

From an educational perspective, you can obviously run driving schools. Most circuits offer this. However, I see much more than this.
Business planning/Marketing/Engineering/ Design/ Legal / Sport psychology... the list goes on.

This brings me to an article in a Malaysian paper The Sun. I quote:

Falling FDI – serious concern but not panic


Instead of selling palm oil and rubber, Malaysia should export plantation management services as well as plant biotechnology products like oil palm clones that are high-yielding, disease-resistant and faster-growing.

Malaysia should also help ease the establishment of schools and universities aimed at providing an Asian-centric education for 21st century Asia. The curriculum should be multilingual with emphasis on the region’s history, geography, economics and sociology. Properly managed with international accreditation, such educational institutions could enhance Malaysia’s appeal in attracting foreign students.

Although Singapore and Thailand already have international educational establishments, these are largely foreign transplants. Similarly, China, India and Indonesia have excellent universities. However, these tertiary institutions may not focus primarily on preparing students for employment in Asia or in a globalised world.

You may ask why a person brought up in England and a USA citizen is pushing for a University in Malaysia. I have worked in Europe and America (obviously). However, when I worked for Group Lotus in Malaysia, This idea was my 'Baby'.
We were encouraged to set up a training establishment by the 'Government'. I was tasked with coming up with a plan.
I put forward a plan to set up on a track. Given the Lotus history as a company, I felt this was a good fit. My immediate management were not supportive.
Call me stubborn, but I still think it is a good idea. Hence this blog. It obviously could be put into practice elsewhere. I don't know of many government owned companies who have potential use of government owned circuits. Lotus had the opportunity. They chose not to go further. That does not mean that I as a person cannot push the idea privately, in the public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment